PLUM AND PEAR CHIA SEED JAM
My sweet tooth definitely needs satisfying every so often (read: often). This chia seed “jam” is absolutely perfect. I love spreading this on the fabulous oat, nut and seed bread, using a spoonful through porridge in the morning or having it with some cheese on a rice cake for a quick snack. It is all gooey fruity goodness without added sugar or artificial ingredients and is absolutely delicious.
Makes 2 large jars
3 ripe pears, diced
500 grams plums, halved
2 tablespoons of honey
1/4 cup chia seeds
1. Use a heavy saucepan (I use a cast iron one) and set it over high heat.
2. Add the pears, plums and honey and heat until boiling.
3. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring frequently, until all the fruit has cooked down and liquified. This should take about half an hour.
4. Use a stick blender to ensure no large chunks of fruits remain in the mixture. Or, if you like your jam a little more chunky, just mash any remaining pieces of fruit with a fork.
5. Stir in the chia seeds and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Take the pan off the heat and let cool.
7. Pour into jars and close the jars with a well fitting lid.
This jam lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge. It can also be frozen for later use.