Over the last year I have experimented through a large portfolio of different no sugar, no flour, healthy snack options. There are many variations and endless combinations of possibilities. At the end of the day though, I have to face the fact that I adore chocolate. I love the vegan, no bake options that are easy to whip up but there is something about the smell of something chocolatey baking in the oven that just screams “treat”. These chocolate brownies do just that. And as their main ingredient is sweet potato, they are healthy too. Bursting with antioxidants while giving you that warming, chocolate gooey brownie goodness in one delicious treat. These brownies are awesome.
CHOCOLATE BROWNIES WITH SWEET POTATO
Makes about 16 brownies
2 medium to large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup of dates
4 tablespoons of raw cacao
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a square brownie baking dish.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks.
3. Steam the sweet potato chunks until they are soft (almost falling apart).
4. In a food processor, combine the soft steamed sweet potato and the dates until a uniform, creamy mixture forms.
5. Add the cacao, ground almonds and rice flour and mix on low until evenly combined.
6. Place the batter into the lined baking dish.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes in the middle of the oven until a knife comes out dry.
8. Leave to cool for a few minutes before taking the brownies out of the baking tray.
9. Leave to cool for another 15 minutes or so before cutting into squares. These brownies set as they cool down so give them a little time.
10. Dig in and enjoy.
If you like your brownies a little sweeter, just add a couple of tablespoons of honey to the mixture before baking.