I really like to cook with quinoa as a grain for added protein and richness for instance in my salads. Variety, however, is the spice of life, which is why this salad has bulgur as a base.
Bulgur is often used in the Mediterranean or middle Eastern cuisines and is originally derived from durum wheat. It is high in fiber and has a light flavour, slightly nutty, which makes it a great base for salads. And importantly, it is really easy to prepare!
The jalapeño in this bulgur salad gives it an additional punch and it makes for a nice side dish for dinner or can be enjoyed with a bit of tuna or a chicken breast for lunch.
BULGUR SALAD WITH CELERY, CUCUMBER AND HERBS
Makes one large bowl
Ingredients for the salad
1 cup bulgur
2 carrots (peeled and grated)
1 small cucumber (peeled)
4 celery sticks
large bunch of parsley (chopped)
handful of fresh mint leaves (chopped)
handful of brazil nuts (chopped)
4 tbsp olive oil
1. Add the cup of bulgur to a deep dish.
2. Pour water that has just come off the boil over the bulgur until just covered.
3. Leave to stand for about 30 minutes so that the bulgur can absorb the water, soften and cool.
4. Add the grated carrots, the chopped cucumber, celery, brazil nuts, jalapeño and herbs to a large bowl.
5. Add the cooled bulgur and mix thoroughly.
6. Add the lemon juice and olive oil and toss the salad before serving.
7. Serve and enjoy!