It is the perfect season to find ripe pears and sweet apples and make some homemade compote. It is always a good idea to have some tucked away in the fridge to sweeten or replace commercial applesauce in recipes, and to serve over porridge or pancakes.
HOMEMADE APPLE AND PEAR COMPOTE WITH CINNAMON
Makes one large jar
2 apple, peeled and chopped
2 pears, peeled and chopped
1/2 a cup of water
1 slice of lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Peel the apples and pears and remove the cores.
2. Chop into pieces and add to a pan.
3. Remove the peel from the lemon slice and add to the pan.
4. Add the water and cinnamon and heat over a medium heat.
5. Put the lid on the pan and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes, mash the mixture with a fork or a potato masher until the desired consistency is reached.
7. Let it cool down and store in an airtight container in the fridge.