Snacks on the go are in my opinion one the biggest challenges when trying to eat healthily. We travel happily. And often. On average I travel one to two days a week for work and we truly try and maximise our family vacation time too of course. On the road and on airplanes, I tended to make the not-so-healthy choices due to hunger, tiredness and very limited availabilty of truly healthy snacks. To prevent grumpiness while travelling, I have now taken to bringing snacks with me (something I honestly think I would never ever do…) and this is one of my favourites: a heavenly snack for chocolate lovers. We just landed in our Christmas holiday destination and a couple of these balls packed in a plastic container made for a great snack for the whole family on our plane rides.
HEALTHY NUTTY CHOCOLATE FUDGE BALLS
Makes about 20 balls
1 cup raw cashew nuts
2 tbsp cacao powder
4 tbsp shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups dried dates
Pinch of salt
1. In a strong food processor, blend the cashew nuts until finely ground.
2. Add the cacao powder and shredded coconut and stir to mix.
3. Now slowly add the dates, one by one, until a cohesive sticky mixture forms. You might find that you have one or two dates left over or need one or two more. This depends a little on the softness and stickiness of the dates.
4. Add the pinch of salt and pulse the mixture for a few more seconds.
5. Tip the mixture into a bowl and roll large teaspoons between your fingers to form balls.
6. Store these balls in the fridge in an airtight container.
7. Enjoy as a snack or through some yogurt for breakfast.