A quinoa salad makes for a delicious, healthy and protein rich lunch or dinner. I love quinoa. Quinoa is a grain originating from South America that is comparatively high in protein and potassium and naturally gluten free. This recipe makes a large bowl of fresh, lemony salad that can be served with some tuna, a chicken breast or any other protein. It is also delicious on its own, for example as a packed lunch.
QUINOA SALAD WITH LEMON MUSTARD DRESSING
Makes one large bowl
Ingredients for the salad
1 cup quinoa
3 carrots (peeled)
1 red pepper
1 cucumber (peeled)
2 celery sticks
12 small vine cherry tomatoes
large bunch of parsley
Ingredients for the dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
juice and zest of one lemon
3 spring onions (finely chopped)
1 tbsp mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of sunflower seeds for added crunch
1. Add 2 cups of water to the quinoa in a small pan and bring to the boil.
2. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is soft (about 15 – 20 minutes)
3. Fluff the quinoa up with a fork and leave to stand so that it can cool down.
4. Finely chop the carrots, cucumber, celery, peppers, cherry tomatoes and parsley and place in a large bowl.
5. Now prepare the dressing by combining all ingredients and mixing thoroughly.
6. Add the quinoa and lemon mustard dressing to the chopped vegetables in the bowl and combine.
7. Serve and enjoy!
This salad can be made with any combination of vegetables you may choose. It also works well with some orange or mandarin slices and some feta cheese for variation.