I am always longing for summer. And even though the Northern Hemisphere is in deep dark winter mode currently, this is definitely something to look forward to for summer. Originating from the south of Spain, this cold soup is packed full of raw vegetables. Perfect for a hot summer´s night or for those long awaited early spring days. Plus, it also works perfectly well with the heaters on as a post Christmas recovery meal (not sure about you, but we had plenty of heavy meals over the holiday season).
AN AMAZING RECOVERY MEAL: CHILLED GAZPACHO WITH AVOCADO
Makes two large portions
300 ml tomato juice
1/2 red pepper
1/2 cucumber (peeled)
1 celery stick
12 small vine cherry tomatoes
1 garlic clove
large bunch of parsley
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Black pepper and chili flakes to taste
1. Finely dice all the vegetables.
2. In a blender, combine the diced pepper, celery, cucumber tomatoes and garlic with the tomato juice and the lemon juice and zest.
3. Blend together but leave slightly chunky to preserve a texture for the soup.
4. Stir in the chopped avocado.
5. Stir to combine and season to taste with chili flakes and black pepper.
6. Serve over some ice cubes or crushed ice and enjoy!
This soup can be made a few hours in advance. Keep it in the fridge to chill and stir well before serving. I like to serve this soup with a toasted slice of rye bread or some grain free health bread.