Another good snack for on the go and between meals, these squares take some preparation time due to the need to soak the dried fruits for a while. Definitely worth the wait though: once set, they are thick and fresh and chewy. I eat these after exercising and give them to my little one for snack time. Yum!
RAW APRICOT AND FIG SQUARES
Makes 16 squares
1 cup desiccated coconut
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup dried apricots
4 dried figs
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. In a large jug, cover the apricots with water and let them stand and soften for 2 hours.
2. Thoroughly strain the apricots and set aside on some roller towel to ensure all excess water is removed.
3. Line a small brownie or slice pan with baking paper.
4. Combine the apricots and figs together in a food processor until they form a cohesive mixture.
5. Add almonds, lemon juice and coconut oil and mix until combined.
6. Lastly, add the dessicated coconut and pulse to combine.
7. Press the mixture into the lined pan. (The back of a large spoon works well for this. If the mixture sticks to the spoon wet it with a little cold water.) Sprinkle with coconut flakes or dessicated coconut.
8. Cover the pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
9. Slice into even squares and enjoy!