A few weeks ago, I was visiting my sister and staying at her house for the weekend. After indulging on Friday night and Saturday on nostalgic Dutch foods and general catch ups over glasses of wine, I was feeling rather up for something healthy.. She then made us some lovely restoring breakfast cookies on Sunday morning. They were sweet, moist, warm out of the oven and absolutely delicious. I finished two immediately and she kindly packed one for me for the road. I have modified these a little to exclude walnuts (my little one does not react well to these) and to feature some tropical flavours. They are great for a breakfast on the go, and can also be made the day in advance.
GLUTEN FREE PAPAYA AND COCONUT BREAKFAST COOKIES
Makes 6 large breakfast cookies
75 gram oats
75 gram roasted almonds
50 gram dried unsweetened papaya
30 gram desiccated coconut
1 large (ripe) banana
2 tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. In a food processor, chop the almonds and dates into small pieces.
3. Add the oats, banana, coconut oil, desiccated coconut and cinnamon and mix until combined.
4. Add the papaya and pulse until desired consistency has been reached.
5. Form 6 large cookies by scooping large tablespoons full of mixture into your hands, rolling it into a ball and flattening it.
6. Place the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Let them cool slightly, and enjoy!