After some experimenting, I modified my favourite banana bread recipe (inspired by Nigella Lawson) to exclude all sugar and grains. This banana and almond bread is every bit as delicious, moist and satisfying as the original version, but without the sugar and wheat. In addition, this recipe contains ground almonds for good fats and protein and linseeds for fibre. A great, guilt free breakfast slice or snack.
AMAZING BANANA BREAD, GRAIN FREE, SUGAR FREE
Makes one loaf
3 medium ripe bananas
60 ml coconut oil
3 eggs (room temperature, beaten)
Zest and juice of one lemon
250 gram ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
10 tbsp of linseeds
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Grease a loaf tin.
3. Mash the bananas and mix them with the beaten eggs, the lemon juice and zest and the coconut oil.
4. Fold in all the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to form a cohesive batter.
5. Spoon into the greased loaf tin.
6. Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 45 minutes. The cake is ready when the top of the bread has a nice brown colour and a knife or cake tester comes out still slightly moist. Check the bread after about 30 minutes in the oven. If it is turning dark too quickly, it can be covered with a piece of foil or baking parchment for the last 15 minutes.
7. Leave to cool down in the loaf tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool down completely.
8. Slice and enjoy!