Winters leave me really struggling to eat my “go to salads” and I rather find myself craving something warming when it is cold outside. This lentil and sprouts salad is a nice winter warmer with loads of different colors and punchy middle eastern flavours.
WARM LENTIL AND BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD WITH APPLE AND MINT
Makes about 4 servings
200 gram red lentils
400 gram sweet potato
300 gram brussels sprouts
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 small apple
handful of fresh mint
6 tbsp natural yoghurt
splash of lemon juice
1 tsp smoked paprika
1. Rinse the lentils before cooking them for 20 minutes or until done.
2. Strain the lentils and set aside.
3. In the meantime, peel the sweet potato and cut into small cubes.
4. Clean the sprouts and cut them in half.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based pan and add the sweet potato, sprouts, cumin, coriander with some pepper. Heat in the pan for some 25 minutes, stirring regularly.
6. In the meantime, peel the apple and cut into squares.
7. Combine half of the mint with the yogurt, lemon juice and smoked paprika in a blender. Set aside.
8. Cut the remainder of the mint into strips.
9. Add the sprout mixture, the apple and the lentils in a large dish. Stir to combine.
10. Add the fresh mint on top and serve with the mint yogurt.