Although originally an Indonesian dish, thanks to the many exploits of the Dutch seafarers in centuries past, this is a staple food very readily available in the Netherlands. An excellent dish to use up leftover veggies or proteins, with a subtle heat countered by fresh, zesty vinegared carrots, this is a great weekday go to meal for the whole family.
VEGETARIAN NASI GORENG WITH GRATED VINEGARED CARROTS
1 large piece of fresh ginger
4 tbsp ketjap manis
3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
A quarter of a head of iceberg lettuce
3 large shredded carrots
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1. Cook the rice and let it cool down. It is also possible to use leftover rice or simply cook rice the night before.
2. In a small bowl, mix the ketjap manis and sweet chili sauce. Finely chop the ginger and shallots and add them to the sauce mixture to marinate.
3. In a cast iron pan, toast the chopped peanuts for a few minutes (no oil needed). Then add these to the marinade.
4. Shred the carrots and mix them in a bowl with the vinegar and lime juice. Set aside.
5. Arrange the washed lettuce on plates to serve.
6. Heat up a little oil in a wok or cast iron frying pan. Add the marinade and rice and fry on medium high heat for about five minutes.
7. Serve with some extra chili sauce.
NB: this dish is absolutely delicious with a fried egg on top too for some added protein.