Probably not the most nutritious thing to eat in the world, but when the craving hits, home made mayonnaise is the best! Selecting and using high quality ingredients and putting them together yourself to make this delicious condiment is well worth the effort. It is an excellent pairing with home made sweet potato fries, baked fish or a beautiful piece of meat.
Makes about 2 cups
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of cold water
2 tablespoons of lemon juice (cold)
1 teaspoon mustard
350 ml rice oil (out of the fridge)
1/4 cup finely chopped herbs (I used lemon balm, rosemary and parsley)
1. Ensure all ingredients are the correct temperature. If the oil, lemon juice and water are not yet refrigerated, make sure to cool them now before starting the recipe.
2. Beat the egg yolks and put them in a heat proof dish.
3. Set the heat proof dish over some hot water on the stove (do not let the dish touch the water) until the egg yolks heat up and start to slightly congeal. Watch carefully and do not let them get too stiff. The heating ensures that any bacteria (like Salmonella) are killed in the egg yolk.
4. In a food processor, combine the egg yolks, the mustard, the lemon juice, the water and the salt by whizzing them for a few seconds.
5. With the food processor running, start pouring the oil into the mixture very slowly. Keep a steady but slow stream so that the oil can get incorporated well.
6. The mixture should reach a creamy, yellowish-white consistency.
7. Stir in the herbs and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
NB: if you are happy to eat raw egg yolks, buy and use really fresh eggs and simply skip step 2 and 3. I would normally do this, were it not for the fact that I know my almost 2-year-old will want to eat anything I eat too so erring on the side of caution there.