Falafel makes for a fantastic protein alternative for non-meat days. Full of chickpeas, herbs, and flavour, falafel are normally deep fried and served in a white flatbread. To make the Finn´s Foods version really nutritious and delicious, our take on them are vegan, baked in the oven and served with a fresh green leafy salad instead. Serving these with some freshly made herb mayonnaise along with a large, fresh salad will make them extra yummy.
Makes 24 falafel
2 cups chickpeas
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup coriander
1 small onion
1 teaspoon cumin
A pinch of salt
2 tablespoons chickpea flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. Thoroughly rinse and drain the chickpeas until the water runs clear.
3. Add the chickpeas to a blender and blend until chopped finely.
4. Add the herbs and spices, the onion, and the olive oil and blend again until everything is combined.
5. Stir in the chickpea flour and check the consistency of the mixture. It should be a little sticky and cohesive in order to form the balls.
6. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
7. Roll large teaspoon sized portions of the mixture into balls between your hands.
8. Place the balls onto the baking parchment, slightly apart.
9. Once all balls are prepared, bake the falafel in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
10. The falafel now should be nicely browned crispy on the outside.
Enjoy with a fresh salad and some herb mayonnaise.