Peanut butter is one of my favourite flavours in the world. And lucky for me, my husband and kid love peanut butter too so I get to make sweet snacks and savoury dishes with this nutty flavour aplenty. The slowly cooked chicken breast in this recipe is soft and buttery and goes so well with the broccoli and rice noodles that we have added it to our favourites list already.
I know that slow cookers are all the hype but I am not a convert to these yet. I strongly believe in my cast iron heavy based pans to do my slow-cooking and am still struggling to see the added benefit one more large kitchen appliance might bring. So if you´d like to make these in a slow cooker, just adjust the recipe according to the appliance´s instructions.
Serves 3 – 4
2 chicken breasts
1 cup coconut milk
4 tbsp peanut butter
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp soy sauce
sprinkle of paprika powder
1 head of broccoli
2 portions of rice noodles
Chicken in coconut and other ingredients for an hour. Add broccoli and another half an hour. Shred chicken an heat all stuff.
Make rice noodles. Serve together, sprinkle with coriander and chopped peanuts.
1. Place the chicken breasts in a large cast iron pan.
2. In a bowl, mix the peanut butter, soy sauce, paprika powder and lemon juice with the coconut milk and stir until combined.
3. Pour the coconut milk mixture over the chicken breast and place the pan on the stove on low heat.
4. Cover the pan and let this bubble away at low heat for an hour.
5. Wash the broccoli and cut into small pieces. Add these to the pan, cover and leave on low heat for another 20 minutes.
6. Heat a large pan of water for the rice noodles and start cooking these according to the instructions on the pack.
7. Take the chicken breast out of the pan and shred the chicken using two forks.
8. Add the shredded chicken back to the pan to heat through for another couple of minutes.
9. Divide the rice noodles over serving bowls and scoop generous spoonfuls of the chicken and broccoli mixture over it. Sprinkle with some parsley or coriander to serve.