On my word. This is just the most amazing breakfast. It is like having a warm, comforting and delicious pie for breakfast that your granny made. My grandparents actually owned a bakery and whenever we got to sleep over, my sisters and me (the only grandchildren) got spoiled with pies, whipped cream and chocolates for breakfast. This berry crumble reminds of having breakfast at my grandparents, bringing back beautiful memories of the joys and carefree days of childhood.
Unlike the pies at my grandparent´s store though, there is no butter and sugar and wheat to this recipe, just plain, high quality and nutritious ingredients that taste absolutely fabulous.
Makes 4 – 6 portions
4 cups mixed berries
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp rice flour
1 tbsp raw cane sugar (or honey)
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 cup oats
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp linseeds
2 tbsp buckwheat flour
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp raw cane sugar (or honey)
1 packet baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Chop larger berries up and mix the berries with the lemon juice, sugar, and rice flour. You can use frozen berries for this recipe as long as they are thawed.
3. Spread the berry mixture over a small baking tray.
4. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping. Measure out all dry ingredients first and then rub in the coconut oil as a last step until it forms a crumbly mixture.
5. Spread the topping evenly over the berry mixture.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Serve warm out of the baking tray with some cold yogurt.
8. You can reheat leftovers the next day. Just place them in a warm oven (160 degrees) for about 10 minutes. You can also have it cold out of the fridge if you like of course! Either way, it is one amazing way to start the day.