It has been a while since I posted a new salad recipe. If pressed for time, we are often quick to resort to old favourites or to a quick selection of cucumber, pepper and celery slices with our proteins. Finally, with some time on my hands and the right ingredients in the fridge, I had time to throw together this beautiful green salad with spinach.
Baby spinach is amazing to use in salads. Full of flavour, juicy and easy to combine. We eat this crunchy fresh salad with some barbecued chicken pieces, and it is just divine. Combining the fresh spinach with the salty feta cheese and the crunchy radish and seeds, it is very satisfying.
Makes 2 large portions
2 cups baby spinach
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup parsley
4 large stalks of celery
100 gram feta cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
1. Use a large bowl and add the washed baby spinach leaves.
2. Dry toast the sunflower seeds in a large pan over medium heat for about 4 minutes until lightly coloured and set aside.
3. Slice the radishes and the celery and finely chop the parsley. Add to the baby spinach in the bowl.
4. Cube the feta cheese and add to the salad in the bowl.
5. To make the dressing combine the olive oil, lemon and parsley in a small jug and stir thoroughly. Add pepper and salt to taste.
6. To serve, sprinkle the sunflower seeds over the salad.
7. Serve the dressing on the side and pour just before eating.