This is another sister inspired cake. My sister is a really good baker and cook. She mostly makes scrumptious dishes, preferably Italian ones served with plenty of wine but she lately has been on a discovery of healthier alternatives too. So, when she told me about a cheesecake that can be served as a nutritious breakfast, there was no doubt that I had to have a stab at it too.
This cake is absolutely beautiful. It can be a “cake for breakfast” occasion, which I love. There is nothing like having guilt free cake for breakfast. It is sweet, it is tangy, it is fruity and it just comes together so nicely. There is a bit of planning involved but it is worth every little bite.
Makes 1 large cake
2 cups almonds
2 cups dates
2 tbsp coconut oil
1.5 liters natural yoghurt
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
500 gram raspberries (frozen)
1. The “cheese” needs to be prepared about 8 hours or a night before making the cake.
2. To make the cheese, cover a sieve with a clean dishcloth. Pour the yogurt into it and set in the fridge over a deep bowl for 8 hours or overnight.
3. After the yogurt has set it should be a thick, cream cheese like consistency. Mix in the lemon juice and vanilla extract and stir thoroughly.
4. Start making the topping by adding the raspberries to a small saucepan. You can use frozen or fresh berries.
5. Simmer over a low heat until the mixture has cooked down into a coherent coulis (about 1.5 hours). Take it off the heat and set aside to cool down. If you like the topping a little sweeter, add a tablespoon or so of honey.
6. Now start making the base by processing the almonds in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs.
7. Add the coconut oil and then start adding the dates one by one until the mixture is cohesive and sticks together well.
8. Press the date and almond mixture into the cake tin to form the base. Put this into the fridge to set and firm up a little. About an hour is sufficient.
9. Take the base out of the fridge and put the ” cheese” on top. Spread with a spatula to create an even cake.
10. Add the raspberry topping to finish the cake off.
11. To cut the cake, use a knife dipped in warm water. This is amazing as a snack but also makes for an incredible and indulgent breakfast.