Part of my new workout routine often has me out doing a session in the evenings after dinnertime with my family. Therefore, I am on a quest for new ways to keep dinner light yet nutritious.
These broccoli tots are so good. The are warm, soft, firm and full of flavour. I served them with some guacamole containing extra vegetables and some tortilla chips.
Makes 16 broccoli tots
1 head of broccoli (about 2 cups)
3 spring onions
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup rice flour
2 tbsp parsley
Pepper to taste
2 ripe avocados
1 small red onion
Juice of 1 lime
2 Roma tomatoes
Splash of Tabasco
Lemon pepper to taste
2 tbsp coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large pot, heat water until it is boiling and blanch the broccoli in about 1- 2 minutes until slightly softened.
3. Finely chop the spring onions including the green stalks and the parsley and add this to the broccoli in a large bowl.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine with your hands to form a cohesive mixture.
5. Form tots by rolling and shaping large tablespoons of mixture between your hands.
6. Arrange the tots onto a lined baking tray and place in the middle of the oven.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning once, until the tots are golden brown and crispy.
8. In the meantime, start preparing the guacamole by mashing the avocados in a bowl.
9. Finely chop the onion, coriander and tomatoes and add with the lime juice, Tabasco and spices to the bowl.
10. Stir thoroughly and serve.